All courses presented by Rodney Gabel, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, BCS-F. Dr. Gabel is the owner of the Gabel Center for Stuttering Therapy and a founding member of YourSpeechCourse with Joe Donaher, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, BCS-F. Dr. Gabel has nearly 25 years of experience providing therapy for people who stutter, and is an active researcher. He has spent the past 18 years delivering professional development courses.
Week-long Intensive - Contact Hours: 15
- Participants will observe 3 hours of treatment to adults and children who stutter, as well as parent counseling groups. A one-hour question-and-answer period with Dr. Gabel will follow. Learners will:
- Identify the needs of children who stutter;
- Identify the impact of stuttering on the parents;
- Discuss basic approaches to stuttering treatment.
Ethics and Supervision - Contact Hours: 1 for Ethics and 2 for Supervision
- Will satisfy professional development requirements for ethics and supervision. Learners will:
- Identify the basic aspects of ethics that are inherent to speech-language pathology;
- Describe the process of ethical decisions;
- Describe the important components of supervision in speech-language pathology.
Assessment of Stuttering - Contact Hours: 3
- A detailed discussion of assessment for preschoolers, school-age children, adolescents, and adults. Learners will:
- Identify the procedures inherent to stuttering assessments;
- Describe the process of making decisions related to differential diagnosis;
- Describe the steps to completing a fluency evaluation.
Stuttering Therapy in the Schools - Contact Hours: 6
- This workshop will provide guidance for stuttering treatment in the schools. Learners will:
- List common challenges to providing stuttering therapy in the schools;
- Demonstrate procedures for identifying stuttering disfluencies and reactive behaviors;
- Demonstrate speech movements that allow for reduced stuttering severity and increased fluency.
Being Solution-Focused in Stuttering Therapy - Contact Hours: 6
- Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT) is a counseling approach utilized by educators and healthcare professionals. This workshop will provide an overview of SFBT and discuss how it can apply to stuttering therapy. Learners will:
- Identify the basic theoretical foundations of SFBT;
- Demonstrate the basic procedures used in SFBT;
- Describe the components of an SFBT session.